Use online Services
View surgery hours
See contact details
Register/change details
View NHS clinics/services
See GP timetable of
Travel Health Services
Travel Health Services

Health Advice - What To Do When You Feel Unwell

There are many choices for what treatment to take when you are feeling unwell and where to seek help and advice. By making the correct decision at the correct time you will receive the best available care. Next time you or a member of your family is feeling ill use this guide to help you decide.

                                                  Choose your treatment

Self Care

Can you treat yourself at home?

A well stocked medicine cabinet can treat many day to day illnesses. Small doses of paracetamol or ibuprofen for example can treat many common illnesses such as colds, sore throats and coughs.


Have you spoken with your chemist?

Pharmacists are qualified to dispense not only medicines, but also advice on a range of common complaints such as sore throats, aches & pains, colds and the flu.

They can also answer questions on medications and help you with advice on issues such as healthy eating & quitting smoking. Your pharmacist will be well placed to advise if you should see a GP with your complaint.


NHS 111

Have you tried NHS 111

NHS 111 is a 24 hour a day health information and advice service staffed by professional health advisers and nurses (Who also act as our out-of-hours call handling service). They offer free, confidential advice on what to do if you are ill, and provide information on a range of conditions & services, and can put you in contact with your local health, self-help & support organisations.

Ring NHS 111 by dialling 111. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.

GP Practice

Do you need to see a GP or other health professional?

Dolphins Practice offers a range of services as detailed in our clinics & services section. These include general medical advice and treatment, prescriptions, referral services and a range of tests & immunisations.

Remember to tell your doctor if you have tried or are still taking any self care remedies.


Do you need to seek emergency hospital treatment?

In cases of accidents or illness where there is an immediate risk to life you should go to the A&E department at the nearest Hospital or call 999 for an ambulance.

Follow this route in critical emergencies where there has been major blood loss, severe chest pain or loss of consciousness.